Why do dogs end up in shelters?
WHY DO DOGS END UP IN SHELTERS?
Top 10 reasons, according to the American Dog Owners Association :
- Landlord not allowing pets
- Too many animals in household
- Cost of pet maintenance
- Guardian having personal problems
- Inadequate facilities
- No homes available for litter mates
- Having no time for pet
- Pet illness(es)
CHARACTERISTICS OF DOGS BEING RELINQUISHED TO POUNDS:
- Majority of the surrendered dogs (47.7%) were between 5 mos. and 3 yrs. of age
- Majority of dogs (37.1%) had been owned from 7 mos. to 1 yr.
- Approximately half of the dogs (42.8%) surrendered were not neutered
- Many of the dogs relinquished (33%) had not been to a veterinarian
- Dogs relinquished from friends (31.4%) were relinquished in higher numbers than from any other sources
Facts & Figures
- 112 million pet dogs and cats are owned by Americans.
- 92% of American pet guardians display pictures of their pets at home or work.
- 53% believe their animals would risk their lives to save their guardians.
--Time Magazine, 6/7/99