Animal Cruelty is a Felony Offense!
• Owning or training dogs for fighting is a felony punishable by up to two years in prison and a fine up to $50,000. Penal Code 597.5
• It is a crime to torture, wound or kill an animal. Penal Code 597
• It is a misdemeanor to carry or cause an animal to be carried or left in a vehicle in a car on a hot day without ventilation. The car can be impounded. Penal Code 597a
• Failure to care for animals or abandoning them in buildings or confined area without food, water or shelter is a misdemeanor. Penal Code 597.1 and 597s
• Dogs kept outdoors cannot be tethered and must be provided access to a dog house, food, and water at all times. LAMunicipal Code 53.70
To report animal cruelty call LAPD, LA Dept. of Animal Services,
Animal Cruelty Task Force at 213-847-1417